What a weird day. I did my mindmaps for PRSP and BBFin. I wanted to go skating after that at about 3pm but I heard thunder so I decided not to go. I felt really tired from yesterday's 4 sessions of skating and I conked out on my beanbag til dinner. The main thing I wanna talk about is a show called: The Island.
It's a story about a facility that makes clones. Human clones. It's set in the near future and it's only for rich people who want to live longer or need new organs or want a baby without going through childbirth. Whatever they need, they take from the clones. Each one costs about 5 million USD. Anyway, the clients are under the impression that the clones are kept in a vegetative state, never gaining consiousness. This is to show the clients that there is no ethical issue, as the clones are "not human". However, that is a lie. The clones are consious and are under the impression that a mass infection has hit the world, and they are the only survivors. They are also told that there is an Island, a pathogen free island for them to re-populate, and they only can go there if they win a lottery. The story follows Lincoln 6 Echo, a clone for Tom Lincoln, who has a terminal illness. Lincoln 6 Echo meets Jordan 2D in the facility. Both escape and find out the truth. Eventually, both clones go back and free the other clones.
My point is that, with cloning technology just round the corner, would we give up our humanity to save ourselves? Let me put it from this perspective: if the you clone yourself, the clone is you. Therefore, if you take organs from the clone, you kill the clone and you survive. Isn't that the same as killing yourself? Isn't that suicide, in a very real sense? What would you say if you met yourself, and you know he/she would die to save you?
I, personally, will not give up my humanity just like that. If I should die, so be it. I'm now against cloning humans, even if they ARE kept in a vegetative state. Organ growing, sure, but cloning, making a whole new human, no.
'Tis the season to be bored =,=
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment